This delicious stew is very easy to prepare, but it will make you look like a culinary wizard. The result is a rich, savory dish that is satisfying and delicious.
Total Time: 3 hr. 16 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 2 hr. 56 min.
Yield: 6 servings, 2 cups each)
1/2 Green, 1/2 yellow, 1 1/2 Red
1 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. 10 oz. raw lean beef stew meat, cut into ¾-inch cubes
8 cups low-sodium organic beef broth, divided use
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled chopped
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup red wine
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. cornstarch or arrowroot (optional)
2 Tbsp. lukewarm water
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add stew meat; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned.
3. Add onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently 1 min.
5. Add 1 cup broth and wine.; cook, stirring constantly scraping the bottom of pan so beef doesn’t stick, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until liquid is reduced in half.
6. Add salt, pepper, paprika, bay leaves, and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated and tomatoes begin to break down.
7. Add remaining 7 cups broth. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
8. Add sweet potatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
9. Combine cornstarch or arrowroot and water in small bowl; whisk to blend.
10. Add cornstarch mixture to stew; cook, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes or until stew has thickened slightly.
11. Serve or store for future meals.