4 slices bacon, diced
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup whole wheat flour or coconut flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups clam juice
1 cup 2% milk
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
4 cans chopped or minced clams
1 lbs shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
2 fish filets like cod, chopped
1/2 cup corn, optional
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Add oil to stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, and clam juice, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5-8min.
- Add shrimp & Fish and continue cooking on simmer until cauliflower is tender and fish and shrimp are no longer opaque, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add milk & clams, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon and parsley, if desired.
1Green, 1 Red, 1/2 Yellow = 1 Cup serving