Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins.
Serves: 4 servings, 1/2 cup each
2 tsp olive oil (or jalapeño infused olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 15 ounce can No-sugar,no-salt, organic tomato sauce
1 cup water, plum more as needed for consistency
- Heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño (I don’t like raw jalapeños, so I use chipotle peppers and sauce or infused jalapeño olive oil). Cook until fragrant.
- Add spices, honey, and salt. Stir and allow spices to toast, 2 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and water, simmer 5 min.
- Add chipotle pepper and 1 Tbsp adobo sauce.
- Transfer to blender and puree till smooth.
- Continue to cook and simmer for a more complex flavor.
Tips: Spicer, add more jalapeño and/or chili powder. Smokier, cumin and swap our chipotle in adobo sauce vs the jalapeños. Less Spice for kiddos, add more tomato sauce, water, and honey.