Total Time: 1 hr. 55 min.
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 1hr. 15 min.
Servings: 12, 1/2 cup each
3 Green 1/2 tsp
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste, no salt added
1/4 cup red wine
2 cans (28-oz) whole peeled tomatoes, crushed or pureed in blender or food processor
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 (3-oz) Parmesan (or parmigiano) cheese rind
3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let tomato paste burn.
- Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, agave, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add cheese rind; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add basil; mix well.
Fixate Cookbook – Autumn Calabrese
If cooking the sauce a long time, to further develop flavors, add 1 to 2 cups water, 1/4 cup at a time to achieve desired consistency. Cook on very low heat, covered, stirring about every 5 to 10 min for 4 to 6 hrs.