Pumpkin Red Lentil Soup
Total Time: 45 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 35 min.
Yield: 6 servings
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups cubed pumpkin (or butternut squash)
1 cup dry red lentils
6 cups water
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
Cayenne pepper (to taste; optional)
2 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
* Crumbled goat cheese, pumpkin seeds, and sage for garnish
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute, or until tender.
4. Add pumpkin, lentils, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pumpkin is soft. Remove from heat.
5. Place soup in a blender or food processor, in small batches; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
6. Return soup to sauce pan over medium heat. Add ginger and cumin. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper, if desired; cook, stirring constantly, until soup is hot.
7. Ladle soup into 6 serving bowls.
Tip: Blend small batches of hot liquids in blender or food processor since they expand during the blending process, therefore increasing the chance of overflowing.
Learn more about lentils here.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 59 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 9 g