Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Total Time: 1 hr. 20 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr.
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 cup each
1 Green , 1/2 Red, 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 tsp
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
2¼ cups chopped roasted turkey breast (approximately 11 oz.) – Can also use ground turkey
1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
½ cup low-sodium organic vegetable (or beef) broth
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided use
½ cup frozen peas
12 oz. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes or sweet potatoes
½ small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup reduced-fat (2%) milk, warm
1 Tbsp. organic grass-fed butter
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and carrot; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Add turkey and flour; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
5. Add broth, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper; bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
6. Add peas; mix well. Place turkey mixture in a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
7. Preheat oven to 350° F.
8. Boil water in steamer or large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place potatoes in steamer basket; cook for 10 minutes.
9. Add cauliflower; cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Remove from heat.
10. Mash potatoes, cauliflower, milk, butter, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and remaining ¼ tsp. pepper in a medium bowl with a potato masher until smooth. (Add additional milk if mixture is too dry.)
11. Evenly top meat mixture with potato mixture.
12. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.
13. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Mashed Potatoes – Substitute 2 to 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes for potato, cauliflower, milk, and butter mixture.
Sweet Potatoes – Substitute 1½ lbs. sweet potatoes for potatoes and cauliflower