Turkey Tamale Pie
Total Time: 1 hr. 31 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr. 11 min.
Yield: 8 servings
1 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 Red, 1 Green, 1/2 Blue
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey or shredded cooked turkey
1 (15½-oz.) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 Tbsp. tomato paste, no sugar added
1 Tbsp. ground chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
¾ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
Nonstick cooking spray
2½ cups water, hot
1 cup fine cornmeal
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.) or Cojita
2 medium jalapenos, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped (optional)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Heat oil in a 10-inch cast iron (or ovenproof) skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, and turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Coat sides of pan with spray.
5. While turkey mixture is cooking, boil water in medium saucepan over high heat.
6. Add cornmeal; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cornmeal has thickened. Remove from heat.
7. Add remaining ½ tsp. salt, cheese, jalapenos (if desired), and corn; mix well. Spread evenly over turkey mixture.
8. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and turkey mixture is bubbling. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.